BERLIN (AP) — A closely watched survey shows that German business confidence has risen more than expected in December, with sentiment improving in the key manufacturing sector and elsewhere.
The Ifo institute said Monday its confidence index rose to 111.0 points from 110.4 last month. That was slightly higher than the modest rise to 110.6 economists had predicted.
Ifo said that businesses were slightly more optimistic about the next six months than they were in November but that their assessment of their current situation rose more sharply, reaching its highest level since February 2012.
The institute said there was a notable improvement in sentiment among German manufacturers with demand up significantly and order backlogs growing.
The survey is based on responses from some 7,000 firms across the German economy, Europe’s biggest.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Main Street Minute: Phoenix job fair will feature Army, bank representatives
- Main Street Minute: Phoenix cracks top 10 for best US spots for meetings
- Main Street Minute: Fried chicken chain expanding in Valley
- Dad of Times Square crash victim leaves note at her memorial
- Pregnant Maryland teen not allowed at graduation ceremony