WINTERSBURG, Ariz. — The operator of the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station west of Phoenix said a backup generator being tested at the plant failed but the plant was operating normally.
Arizona Public Service Co. said Thursday morning’s incident triggered a brief and minor emergency alert but did not involve the plant’s reactors.
An APS statement said the incident happened during routine monthly testing of one of two backup generators at the plant’s No. 3 reactor.
The diesel generator had a major failure during startup and a portable generator was being moved in to take its place.
The plant 50 miles west of Phoenix has three reactors, and each has two diesel backup generators to run reactor systems in case of a power failure.
All three reactors were running at 100 percent power.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul lashes out at Sen. John McCain over ‘dictator’ comment
- AP, other media ask judge to order release of iPhone records
- Grand Canyon Railway ranked among most beautiful train rides in America
- Big hit for Bulls, ‘Benny’s Day Off’ connects online
- Rain, rain, go away: Arizona fire department uses drone to capture post-storm beauty