Reports Tuesday indicate co-owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, Shelly Sterling, and her representatives are hoping to sell the team, caught between media cross fire and racist remarks, by the end of this week.
According to CNN.com, three-fourths of NBA owners will have to approve of any sale by the Sterlings.
Shelly Sterling has been reportedly speaking with several potential buyers, such as ex-Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
Shelly Sterling is also interested in fielding offers from billionaire businessman Patrick Soon-Shiong; (Grant) Hill’s group; entertainment mogul David Geffen and Oracle founder Larry Ellison; and entrepreneur Magic Johnson and the Guggenheim Partners, which two years ago teamed up to buy baseball’s Los Angeles Dodgers.
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has remained very involved in dealing with the Clippers ownership.
Silver banned Donald Sterling, Shelly’s estranged husband, for life and fined him $2.5 million shortly after his racist comments went viral.
As of 2:45 p.m. ET Tuesday, Sterling still hadn’t responded to the NBA’s charges against him, nor had he paid the $2.5 million fine, a well-placed source said.
Donald Sterling’s deadline to respond to the NBA’s sentencing is midnight Tuesday.
The well-placed source predicted the team could sell for between $1.5 billion and $2 billion; if it’s sold, the NBA wouldn’t want either Sterling to have any stake. Shelly Sterling previously had said she wanted to own at least part of the franchise, but doesn’t want to be a controlling partner.
As of now, the NBA is still planning to vote on whether to force the Sterlings to sell the team by June 3.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier