Missing hiker from Phoenix found dead in California
SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — A 41-year-old man from Phoenix was only supposed to be gone five days on a backpacking trip in California, but after he didn’t return home, a search began.
That search is now over after the man’s body was found.
Vince Scalise was found dead by searchers Monday near the junction of Panther Creek and the Middle Fork of the Kaweah River in Sequoia National Park, according to the National Park Service.
The cause of death is under investigation.
The area experienced below freezing temperatures and was hit by rain and snow last week.
He was supposed to return home on Wednesday, but when he wasn’t heard from or seen, the park service was notified on Saturday night to begin the search.
- Phoenix police searching for suspect who shot, killed bicyclist
- Arizona DREAMer named among Forbes Magazine’s 30 Under 30
- How much should you spend to avoid post-holiday blues in Arizona?
- Part of world’s largest telescope to be built at University of Arizona
- Scottsdale to welcome Arizona’s first ‘dockless’ bike share program