Missing hiker from Phoenix found dead in California
SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — A 41-year-old man from Phoenix was only supposed to be gone five days on a backpacking trip in California, but after he didn’t return home, a search began.
That search is now over after the man’s body was found.
Vince Scalise was found dead by searchers Monday near the junction of Panther Creek and the Middle Fork of the Kaweah River in Sequoia National Park, according to the National Park Service.
The cause of death is under investigation.
The area experienced below freezing temperatures and was hit by rain and snow last week.
He was supposed to return home on Wednesday, but when he wasn’t heard from or seen, the park service was notified on Saturday night to begin the search.
- This neighborhood has fastest rising rents, home values in Phoenix area
- Arizona has second-highest growth rate in US for Alzheimer’s diagnoses
- Arizona high court won’t block vote on school voucher law
- Arizona restaurants saw highest revenues in US during spring break
- Mesa community medicine program shutters due to lack of funding