SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — A 41-year-old man from Phoenix was only supposed to be gone five days on a backpacking trip in California, but after he didn’t return home, a search began.
That search is now over after the man’s body was found.
Vince Scalise was found dead by searchers Monday near the junction of Panther Creek and the Middle Fork of the Kaweah River in Sequoia National Park, according to the National Park Service.
The cause of death is under investigation.
The area experienced below freezing temperatures and was hit by rain and snow last week.
He was supposed to return home on Wednesday, but when he wasn’t heard from or seen, the park service was notified on Saturday night to begin the search.
- Phoenix councilman apologizes for posting meme on social media
- Phoenix libraries hosting program to learn about solar eclipse
- Express Scripts mail-order pharmacy to limit opioids
- Arizona high court rules domestic violence testimony needs scrutiny
- Brewer stands by Trump assessment of Mexican rapists, white power rally