Missing hiker from Phoenix found dead in California
SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — A 41-year-old man from Phoenix was only supposed to be gone five days on a backpacking trip in California, but after he didn’t return home, a search began.
That search is now over after the man’s body was found.
Vince Scalise was found dead by searchers Monday near the junction of Panther Creek and the Middle Fork of the Kaweah River in Sequoia National Park, according to the National Park Service.
The cause of death is under investigation.
The area experienced below freezing temperatures and was hit by rain and snow last week.
He was supposed to return home on Wednesday, but when he wasn’t heard from or seen, the park service was notified on Saturday night to begin the search.
- Delay granted at Phoenix trial for man accused of making bomb parts
- WWE releases Enzo Amore after Phoenix woman accuses him of rape
- Arizona man cannot hunt for decade after illegally killing bighorn sheep
- Anti-abortion group names Arizona nation’s top pro-life state
- Arizona schools chief says K-12 education in state is ‘improving’