Come together: Donald Trump calls for national unity in Thanksgiving message
President-elect Donald Trump called for the nation to begin to unify after a brutal election season in a Thanksgiving message posted to YouTube on Wednesday.
“Now begins a great national campaign to rebuild our country and to restore the full promise of America for all of our people,” he said. “I am asking you to join me in this effort. It is time to restore the bonds of trust between citizens. Because when America is unified, there is nothing beyond our reach, and I mean absolutely nothing.”
In the video, Trump said he is praying for Americans to use Thanksgiving as a reason to come together.
“In declaring this national holiday, President Lincoln called upon Americans to speak with ‘one voice and one heart,'” Trump said. “That’s just what we have to do.”
The president-elect closed the video be encouraging Americans to give thanks for what they have and the future that lies ahead.
- Sen. Jeff Flake expresses concerns with Republican Party’s future
- Trump cites mental health in Florida shooting, no mention of guns
- Appeals court declares Trump travel ban unconstitutional
- Bipartisan group of senators, including Flake, proposes new immigration bill
- Arizona bill that would ban masks at protests passes House committee