As several wildfires continue to rage throughout San Diego County in California, ABC News reports there has been at least one death as a result of the blazes.
Firefighters find badly burned body in a Carlsbad, Calif., transient camp during wildfire hot spot check, city says – @CeciliaVegaABC
— ABC News (@ABC) May 16, 2014
CNN reports eight fires continued to burn Thursday “in a patchwork” across the county. More than 10,000 acres have been affected since the the first fire appeared Tuesday.
The first blaze, the Bernardo Fire, erupted Tuesday in San Diego County. The next day, a spate of new fires popped up — each one separate from one another, each posing its own dangers.
Disregarding the fires, the weather outside in the area hasn’t been friendly lately. Temperatures in the high-90s to low-100s have been reported. The state as a whole is still in the midst of a drought, with San Diego County among the hardest hit.
On top of the drought, the Santa Ana winds have helped many of these fires race, challenging the hundreds of firefighters on the ground and in the air. These are typical for October and November, but Cal Fire Assistant Region Chief Thom Porter notes, “we’ve had this kind of wind … every month this year.”
Investigators are still trying to confirm the cause of the blazes. San Diego County Supervisor Bill Horn told CNN he suspects some or all them may have been set off purposefully.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier