As several wildfires continue to rage throughout San Diego County in California, ABC News reports there has been at least one death as a result of the blazes.
Firefighters find badly burned body in a Carlsbad, Calif., transient camp during wildfire hot spot check, city says – @CeciliaVegaABC
— ABC News (@ABC) May 16, 2014
CNN reports eight fires continued to burn Thursday “in a patchwork” across the county. More than 10,000 acres have been affected since the the first fire appeared Tuesday.
The first blaze, the Bernardo Fire, erupted Tuesday in San Diego County. The next day, a spate of new fires popped up — each one separate from one another, each posing its own dangers.
Disregarding the fires, the weather outside in the area hasn’t been friendly lately. Temperatures in the high-90s to low-100s have been reported. The state as a whole is still in the midst of a drought, with San Diego County among the hardest hit.
On top of the drought, the Santa Ana winds have helped many of these fires race, challenging the hundreds of firefighters on the ground and in the air. These are typical for October and November, but Cal Fire Assistant Region Chief Thom Porter notes, “we’ve had this kind of wind … every month this year.”
Investigators are still trying to confirm the cause of the blazes. San Diego County Supervisor Bill Horn told CNN he suspects some or all them may have been set off purposefully.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain