Tom’s Tavern, the historic downtown Phoenix treasure known for its power lunches, has introduced a dinner menu that is sprinkled with sophistication but also keeps true to Tom’s urban roots.
WhereShouldWeEat.com got an exclusive taste of the delightful new items, but first, let’s recap the history of Tom’s Tavern.
In 1929, Tom Higley converted the old city morgue and pipe shop into a burger joint and gin mill. Tom’s was visited by governors, mayors, city council members and celebrities to dine, drink and discuss.
Nowadays, owner Jim Gallen strives to keep that spirit alive but also shines some new light into the restaurant.
Don’t worry, that cherished vintage feel and Higley’s original brisket chili recipe are still around but some well-deserved changes, like dinner, have transpired.
Now on to the food! We started with a few appetizers.
Buttermilk fried oysters with bacon jam: The light batter was fried to perfection giving just a slight crisp exterior with a warm cushiony interior. The bacon jam had a sweet and spicy element and cut through the rich buttermilk breading splendidly.
Asparagus & Potato Tart. The flaky crust, which had a quiche consistency, was filled with savory potato puree and strips of asparagus topped with bacon for a nice salty element.
For an entrée we had the Slow Cooked Pork Belly with white cheddar polenta, bacon roasted asparagus and cherry gastrique.
The pork belly had wonderful flavor and was extremely tender — it fell apart as I forked through the dish. The rich polenta was a great starch to pair with the fatty pork belly. The earthy asparagus completed the dish.
Other items to consider:
•Locally Grown Campari Tomatoes and Mozzarella with olive oil, micro arugula
•BBQ Grilled Salmon with organic local greens with watermelon 3 ways, sweet corn hoe cakes
•Veal Meatloaf with mashed potatoes, honey roasted carrots and sweet & spicy ketchup
Tom’s also offers unique craft cocktails and local beers, and a well-selected wine list that complements its seasonal menu.
This is the perfect place to stop for dinner before a sporting event or concert downtown.
Tom’s even has a nice outdoor seating area where you can sit and soak up the city vibes.
Next time you are downtown go to Tom’s. As you are enjoying your meal take a look around and appreciate the fact you are dinning at one of Phoenix’s oldest restaurants.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- Here are our picks for the 10 best dishes at Devour Phoenix
- Salud! Mark National Margarita Day at these Phoenix-area spots
- Tamales & coffee concept to open in Phoenix
- He Said: The best breakfast sandwich in Phoenix is at Be Coffee + Food + Stuff
- He Said: Can't-miss upcoming foodie events in the Phoenix area
- Phoenix authorities finish safety preparations for NCAA Final Four
- Arizona joins 12 other states in backing Trump’s travel ban in appeals court
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey wants funding for nearly 100 new state jobs
- Ex-Phoenix sheriff wants his campaign talk banned at trial
- Northern Arizona schools, Bearizona on lockdown after suspect shoots at deputies