Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey orders flags to fly half-staff for fallen policeman
PHOENIX — Flags will fly at half-staff Thursday on all Arizona state buildings in honor of a Show Low police officer killed in the line of duty this week.
Gov. Doug Ducey ordered the tribute Wednesday, a day after officer Darrin Reed, 50, was shot to death in the eastern Arizona city in the White Mountains.
Ducey called the killing of Reed a “deeply humbling reminder” of sacrifices that police officers make daily.
The community held a candlelight vigil in Reed’s honor on Wednesday.
The man suspected of shooting the eight-year department veteran, 36-year-old Daniel Erickson, died during a hostage standoff in nearby Lakeside.
Erickson’s death came after an hourslong manhunt, during which police said he also took a 15-year-old girl hostage.
She was unharmed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Inmate at Arizona prison in Buckeye dies; Homicide suspected
- Part of Interstate 17 in north Phoenix closed due to vehicle fire
- Another blast rocks Austin, but unrelated to other bombings
- Teachers in Phoenix-area schools plan to hold protest Wednesday
- Arizona firefighters sent to Texas to help battle multiple wildfires