Toddler dies from brain injury, Surprise woman arrested for child abuse
SURPRISE, Ariz. — A 23-month-old boy died early Friday morning due to a serious brain injury, which authorities believe was a direct result of one woman’s actions.
Lizet Moreno of Surprise, Arizona, was arrested Thursday and charged with one count of felony child abuse.
The 36-year-old was charged while the child was on life support, and the Surprise Police Department said they will be working closely with the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office to determine whether there will be additional criminal charges against Moreno.
The Surprise Fire and Medical Department responded to a call of an injured child at a residence near the cross-section of 174th Ave. and Loop 303 Thursday afternoon.
Responders found the child was not breathing when they arrived. The toddler was transferred to the hospital, where the attending physician learned the child had suffered a serious brain injury from head trauma.
Investigators determined the child’s head injury was a direct result of Moreno’s actions. She was the child’s caretaker at the time of the incident.
- Phoenix neighborhood to get cheap access to bike share after grant
- National Park Service seeks ways to manage non-native fish in Arizona
- Mexican officials find pot-launching bazooka near Arizona border
- Silver Alert canceled after missing Surprise man returns home
- Here are some tips for those traveling out of Arizona this Thanksgiving