Duel in the desert: UFC returning to Phoenix
PHOENIX — After close to a two-year absence, the UFC is set to make its return to Phoenix.
The professional mixed martial arts league will hold its UFC Fight Night Phoenix on Jan. 15 at Talking Stick Resort Arena. The event will air nationally on Fox Sports 1.
The news marks the first UFC event in the Valley since Dec. 13, 2014, when Junior Dos Santos won a five-round decision over current heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic.
Although a main event for the card has yet to be announced, three fights have been confirmed to take place in Phoenix:
- Heavyweight bout featuring Cyril Asker (7-2) and Dmitri Smoliakkov (8-1)
- Heavyweight bout featuring Viktor Pesta (10-3) and Damian Grabowski (20-4)
- Light heavyweight bout featuring Joachim Christensen (13-4) and Bojan Mihalovic (10-4)
Tickets for UFC Fight Night Phoenix will go on sale later this month.
- Phoenix hopes to score touchdown with another Super Bowl push
- Phoenix expected to reach high temperatures of 90 degrees Thursday
- Homeowner shoots armed man who refused to leave Phoenix home
- Phoenix police searching for suspect in 2012 homicide
- California-based chocolate factory to move location to Phoenix area