November’s Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
The end of the year is fast approaching which means we’ve got two months left of Rosie-Do tips for your house, home, castle or cabin.
The tips in this monthly series are intended to help keep your home running smoothly. Here are my six recommended to-dos for November:
Take down your sunscreens
The hottest months of the year are history, so take down those sunscreens, rinse them off, wipe them dry and store them in a safe place until next spring. If you’ve got time, wash the windows as well.
Change the filters on your air intakes
Get rid of that summer dust if you haven’t already done so.
If you haven’t overseeded your lawn yet, get started
Try to finish the job before mid-November. You should have stopped fertilizing and watering your Bermuda grass lawn a few weeks ago. Be sure to stop mowing your lawn one week before overseeding.
The day of overseeding, mow the grass as low as your mower will go, preferably down to a half-inch high, and remove the clippings from the lawn.
Test your alarm systems
The holidays are a time to use fireplaces more and light lots of candles. Be sure to test your carbon monoxide and smoke alarms to make sure they’re still operating properly.
Spiff up for the holidays
Have the upholstery and carpets cleaned. Empty out a closet or two for guests and buy luggage racks for the guest rooms.
Ready appliances for Thanksgiving
Clean out the refrigerator. Clean the oven, buy the correct-sized roasting pan if you don’t have one already. Try to get some cooking done in advance.
For more DIY tips and information for all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com –- Arizona’s most trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- Cleaning your baseboards will make your house sparkle
- Six things to consider before installing your own dimmer switches
- How to identify and stop common pests living in your yard
- Six tips for success with your spring vegetable garden
- To DIY or not: Projects you can do yourself and those you shouldn’t
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January