Lots of wind, some rain kick off day in Phoenix area
PHOENIX — Gusting winds across the Valley brought down a tree and blew around a little rain Thursday morning to make the early hours … interesting.
The National Weather Service reported thunderstorms were expected in the Valley by afternoon and there was a slight chance hail could drop on some parts of the Phoenix area.
Rain wasn’t the only weather disruption. Winds of up to 45 mph whipped through the early hours of commuter time. Small cars sometimes struggled to stay between the lines on the freeways.
The wind was strong enough to topple a tree in a yard near 48th Street and Indian School Road.
There was a slight chance of rain on Friday, too.
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest news stories from St. Patrick’s Day weekend
- Flake hopes Republicans would stand up if Trump fires Robert Mueller
- Tempe police: Father, son found dead inside ‘hoarding house’
- Northern Arizona cities covered in snow after overnight storm
- Sunday could be last day below 70 degrees in Phoenix until November