PHOENIX — There’s an opioid on the streets that can kill at a touch and it’s legal in 46 states.
It’s called “pink” or “pinky” on the street and online. Erica Curry with the Phoenix office of the Drug Enforcement Administration said it’s 10 times more potent than heroin.
And, it can kill you if you touch less than one ounce.
“The overwhelming majority of [synthetic opioids like “pink”] are coming from foreign sources like China,” she said. “They’re being imported under the auspices of something legal, mislabeled intentionally to make it look like a legitimate parcel.”
Four states – Ohio, Florida, Wyoming and Georgia – have specifically outlawed the drug, which is known to the DEA as U-47700. Developed as a morphine alternative, it was never approved for medical use.
The agency has been trying to get the drug classified as Schedule 1 since September.
At least 17 people have died from overdosing on the drug, including two 13-year-old Utah boys in September. Authorities in Park City, Utah said the boys bought the drug online.
Whether people are buying it on the street or online, Curry said users should be aware that synthetic opioids, including pink, are dangerous.
“The addicts are looking for bigger … for a better high,” she said. “What they’re not realizing is, these new substances emerging on the street can kill you.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- Navajo committee unanimously supports bill switching name to Dine Nation
- Sedona named a top place to go in 2017 by multiple outlets
- Suspect in fatal shooting of Mesa teacher arrested in California
- NY gov requires insurance companies to cover contraception
- Renovation begins on telescope used in Pluto discovery