PHOENIX — A tornado hit a shopping mall near Tupelo, Miss. on Monday.
Mayor Jason Shelton said several injuries were being reported.
Residents in the area were told to seek immediate shelter in a basement or interior room of a sturdy building as the tornado approached.
A tornado emergency was declared for several counties in Mississippi.
The tornado was part of a large, powerful storm moving across the United States. Over the weekend, 16 people were killed across three states.
A tornado that touched down near Vilonia, Ark. was about a half-mile wide and claimed 14 of the 16 killed. The tornado would likely be rated as the nation’s strongest to date this year, as it has the potential to be at least an EF3 storm, which has winds greater than 136 mph, National Weather Service meteorologist Jeff Hood said.
Sunday was the third anniversary of the day 122 separate tornadoes struck parts of Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia and killed 316 people.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier