Wrong-way driver accident shuts down freeway in north Phoenix
PHOENIX — A wrong-way driver traveling on a Phoenix-area highway caused a three-car wreck early Thursday morning, injuring two people.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said the accident in north Phoenix closed southbound Interstate 17 at the Carefree Highway (State Route 74) around 4:15 a.m. A driver got onto the south lane trying to head north.
The accident victims were taken to a hospital, where each was reported to be in serious but stable condition.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Trent Franks, Joe Arpaio endorse Arizona senator for Franks’ old seat
- Main Street Minute: Butcher shop opening in Phoenix neighborhood
- Pregnant woman dies in Phoenix car crash, passenger injured
- This Phoenix health clinic is a lifeline for the uninsured
- Strike a pose: Grand Canyon ranks as Arizona’s most ‘Instagrammed’ spot