A serviceman who shot a pellet gun at Naval Base Point Loma near San Diego was in custody on Thursday, after creating a emergency lockdown.
The base had been placed in partial lockdown because of unconfirmed reports of a possible gunman. Another serviceman was also detained.
A Navy spokesman said there had been no evidence of gunfire. Initial reports said gunshots were heard.
Naval Base Point Loma is home to the Third Fleet command and one of the major military facilities located in the San Diego area.
A base official said the shooter admitted he had fired from the barracks, where weapons aren’t allowed. The two have not been identified.
Young enlisted sailor fired an airsoft rifle on base, which prompted a “shelter in place” order at Naval Base Point Loma. He is in custody.
— Matt Johnson (@MattCBS8) April 24, 2014
— NavyInstallations (@CNICHQ) April 24, 2014
— 10News (@10News) April 24, 2014
#DEVELOPING: There is a partial shelter in place order at Naval Base Point Loma. Details are still coming into the newsroom.
— CBS 8 San Diego News (@CBS8) April 24, 2014
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food