A serviceman who shot a pellet gun at Naval Base Point Loma near San Diego was in custody on Thursday, after creating a emergency lockdown.
The base had been placed in partial lockdown because of unconfirmed reports of a possible gunman. Another serviceman was also detained.
A Navy spokesman said there had been no evidence of gunfire. Initial reports said gunshots were heard.
Naval Base Point Loma is home to the Third Fleet command and one of the major military facilities located in the San Diego area.
A base official said the shooter admitted he had fired from the barracks, where weapons aren’t allowed. The two have not been identified.
Young enlisted sailor fired an airsoft rifle on base, which prompted a “shelter in place” order at Naval Base Point Loma. He is in custody.
— Matt Johnson (@MattCBS8) April 24, 2014
— NavyInstallations (@CNICHQ) April 24, 2014
— 10News (@10News) April 24, 2014
#DEVELOPING: There is a partial shelter in place order at Naval Base Point Loma. Details are still coming into the newsroom.
— CBS 8 San Diego News (@CBS8) April 24, 2014
The Associated Press contributed to this article.