A serviceman who shot a pellet gun at Naval Base Point Loma near San Diego was in custody on Thursday, after creating a emergency lockdown.
The base had been placed in partial lockdown because of unconfirmed reports of a possible gunman. Another serviceman was also detained.
A Navy spokesman said there had been no evidence of gunfire. Initial reports said gunshots were heard.
Naval Base Point Loma is home to the Third Fleet command and one of the major military facilities located in the San Diego area.
A base official said the shooter admitted he had fired from the barracks, where weapons aren’t allowed. The two have not been identified.
Young enlisted sailor fired an airsoft rifle on base, which prompted a “shelter in place” order at Naval Base Point Loma. He is in custody.
— Matt Johnson (@MattCBS8) April 24, 2014
— NavyInstallations (@CNICHQ) April 24, 2014
— 10News (@10News) April 24, 2014
#DEVELOPING: There is a partial shelter in place order at Naval Base Point Loma. Details are still coming into the newsroom.
— CBS 8 San Diego News (@CBS8) April 24, 2014
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development