“The Birth of a Nation” is the true story of Nat Turner, a man who was born into slavery who taught himself to read using the Bible and later became a preacher.
This is a difficult movie to watch. Not because the plot gets bogged down — which it does from time to time — but because the director, Nate Parker, does not shy away in the slightest from showing how brutally slaves were treated or the violence that happened during a slave rebellion led by Turner.
Like I said, this movie is hard to watch but I think it’s an important story to tell.
If you can handle some tough scenes and gore, this is a movie worth seeing.
- Sheriff Paul Penzone spots package thieves in his own neighborhood
- Best Phoenix places for a coffee on National Coffee Day
- Arizona AG says state tuition rate hikes unfair for parents, students
- Phoenix museum to offer free admission to educators
- Predicting the Academy Awards based on the Golden Globes winners