PHOENIX — A 2-year-old child was seriously hurt Wednesday after falling out of a second-story window at a Phoenix-area apartment complex, police said.
Detective Steve Berry with the Mesa Police Department said the child fell about 20 feet from a bedroom window near Main Street and Mesa Drive.
“It looked like the little person had climbed up onto a table and leaned on the screen … when he leaned on the screen, the screen gave way and caused the child to fall out the window,” Berry said.
Chief Forrest Smith with the Mesa Fire and Medical Department said the child was crying when paramedics arrived on scene.
“If they’re quiet or don’t give as much response, that of course gives us concern,” he said. “But just because the child was crying doesn’t mean he is out of the woods.”
Berry said the child’s injuries were serious, but does not believe they are life-threatening.
Berry said an adult was home at the time and no neglect is suspected.
KTAR’s Jeremy Foster and Ashley Flood contributed to this report.
- Phoenix area posts second-largest increase in construction jobs in US
- Las Vegas shooting victim throws out first pitch at Cubs game
- Off Central: Valley girls take part in first responder preparedness course
- Study shows Arizona cities rank among happiest places to live in US
- Phoenix metropolitan area named most exciting in Arizona