Like a large portion of Arizona residents, I am a Southern California transplant.
Some might agree that we escaped the People’s Republic of California, but that is a talk for another time.
You see, those of us that grew up in California were blessed to grow up with two of the greatest sports announcers in history: Chick Hearn of the Lakers and Vin Scully of the Dodgers.
Hearn only missed two games over 40 years announcing for the Lakers, including a streak of 3,338 straight games!
If you have ever — and who hasn’t — used the phrases “slam dunk” or “air ball,” you owe those to Hearn.
On the baseball side of Los Angeles — yes, the only team that actually plays in Los Angeles (not Anaheim) — the Dodgers have been blessed with the golden voice of professional baseball’s Uncle Vin Scully.
Scully has been calling Dodger’s games since — are you ready for this? — 1950.
Scully is the last of the solo broadcasters. That’s right, folks: Vinny calls each game as the play-by-play man AND color commentator.
For over half a century, the greeting, “It’s time for Dodger baseball! Hi, everybody, and a very pleasant good (afternoon/evening) to you, wherever you may be.” served as the Southland’s baseball alarm clock.
Sadly, or better stated, triumphantly, this is Scully’s final season.
So to honor this legend of professional sports, our sister station, Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, would like to invite you to a special edition Arizona Diamondbacks broadcast on Wednesday.
Arizona Sports will join the Dodgers radio broadcast for the entire second inning of Wednesday’s game. It’s a special opportunity for those who haven’t had an opportunity to experience Scully live and will now be able to say that they have heard the best of all time.
It’s also an opportunity for all of us Southern California transplants to hop in a time machine, go back to mom and dad’s living room on a warm summer afternoon and take in some Dodger’s baseball with our ol’ Uncle Vinny.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments