PHOENIX — A suspect was killed and a Phoenix police officer was injured Friday morning after the pair were engaged in a fight.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Vince Lewis said the officer was checking out a suspicious car near State Route 51 and Thomas Road when the suspect came out of the bushes and attacked the officer. The suspect has been identified as 22-year-old Jorge Ceniceros.
The pair battled until a detective responded to the officer’s call for help. When Ceniceros made a move for the officer’s gun, both the officer and detective opened fire.
The suspect ran north on 20th Street for a short distance until he collapsed. He died on the scene.
Lewis said the officer sustained a broken nose in the fight.
It is unknown what started the fight or what caused the detective to open fire.
“We’re going to take a look at what the threats were that were perceived and talk with the officers and collect the physical evidence to figure out what took place,” Lewis said. “It’s still very early in this investigation.
It is unknown if the suspect was armed.
- Phoenix officer injured in crash identified, remains critical
- Phoenix police, highway trooper vehicles crash helping in pursuit
- Suspect down after officer-involved shooting in Phoenix
- Phoenix City Council OKs funds for police to take anti-bias training
- Police: Man held in fatal tire-iron beating of woman