Three of the best legal minds in the state discuss our state’s criminal justice system this week.
Attorneys Robert McWhirter and Tom Ryan and retired judge George Logan are in the Think Tank to discuss:
- Mass incarceration — Do we over-incarcerate?
- Mandatory sentencing — Is this wise?
- Less expensive alternatives to incarceration — Do they work?
- Private Prisons — Are the incentives perverse? Why does Arizona have these when the federal government has concluded that they “are both less safe and less effective in providing correctional services” than those run by the government?
- Corrections costs are eating an increasing proportion of the Arizona budget. Is this money being spent wisely?
Tune into this week’s Think Tank, and hear what some of those involved with the system think.
- Arizona man sentenced to 8 years in 2006 death of teen girlfriend
- Former New Times editor, investor discuss Backpage.com scandal
- Phoenix police arrest 2 suspects, barricade ends with house fire
- Arizona Democratic Gubernatorial Forum: Steve Farley and David Garcia
- NM woman wrongly jailed on Arizona warrant in mistaken identity