PHOENIX — Six firefighters sustained minor injuries while battling a blaze at a Phoenix-area pool store on Thursday morning.
The fire started about 3 a.m. inside the Pool Water Products store near 32nd Street and McDowell Road in Phoenix.
“This isn’t our bread and butter beat — not a house fire where we know what we’re dealing with,” Phoenix Fire Capt. Rob McDade said. “Anytime you’re dealing with chemicals is dangerous. Unfortunately our weapon of choice is water and most chemicals don’t like water.”
The store was stocked with chlorine, so in addition to smoke, the chemical was also producing chlorine vapor.
Five firefighters were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation as a precaution.
“We’re lucky,” McDade said. “We took them to the hospital as a precaution. An incident like this with super-heated chlorine gas could made this worse.”
The other injured firefighter sustained a knee injury.
The cause of the fire is unknown.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Police looking to charge 14-year-old boy in deadly car accident in Phoenix
- Shared-kitchen fire damages 2 Chandler restaurants
- Firefighters rescue hiker stranded on ledge on Phoenix mountain
- Bisbee to use insurance money to construct new city hall
- No evidence of arson in fire that damaged Bisbee City Hall