PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) – A Portland fire official says a woman and her dog have been rescued unharmed after falling into a 20-foot-deep sinkhole that opened up in her backyard.
Portland Fire & Rescue Lt. Rich Chatman says the woman in her 30s was trying to find her small poodle mix Tuesday night in her dark Portland backyard when she fell into a sinkhole about 3 1/2 feet in diameter. A neighbor who heard her calls for help called 911.
Fire crews used rope and ground ladders to rescue them. Chatman says fire officials at the scene were amazed that both escaped unhurt.
The spokesman says a neighbor who shares a property line said both homeowners had been required to do some recent work on their sewage system.
Crews were covering up the hole temporarily late Tuesday.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them