MIAMI (AP) – The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a final missing person after a 24-foot motorboat believed to be carrying 12 migrants capsized off the southeastern coast of Florida, killing at least four people.
The U.S. Coast Guard reports that the search ended Friday evening after crews searched 806 square miles of ocean.
The boat flipped Thursday about 75 miles northeast of West Palm Beach. The Royal Netherlands Navy first came upon the boat around noon. Sailors rescued seven survivors from atop the upside-down hull and recovered three bodies from under the boat. Naval officials contacted the Coast Guard, which later found a fourth body during its search.
Capt. Brendan McPherson said in a news release that the boat appeared to be part of a human smuggling operation. Officials weren’t immediately naming suspects or saying where the passengers were from.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food