SAN SIMEON, Calif. (AP) – Communities along the central California coast were shaken by a light offshore earthquake Thursday, but no damage was reported.
The magnitude-4.1 temblor occurred at 11:42 a.m. and was centered 9 miles southwest of San Simeon, the scenic rural location of Hearst Castle. The popular tourist destination is about 240 miles northwest of Los Angeles.
The quake occurred at a depth of about 2 miles and was followed within minutes by a small aftershock.
“We haven’t gotten any calls from people about the quake,” said San Luis Obispo County sheriff’s Sgt. David Nottenkamper. “We had two, but neither were that large.”
Terri Lee Guthrie said she felt it while working the front desk at Cambria Landing Inn and Suites in Cambria, 11 miles from the epicenter.
“My associate was sitting in a chair and the chair shook, and I felt the ground move, and there was a flower arrangement and it moved around. We looked at each other and said, `Was that an earthquake?'” Guthrie said.
There was no damage or injuries there, she said.
The earthquake was not felt at the central coast’s Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant, said Tom Cuddy, a spokesman for Pacific Gas and Electric Co.
The region was hit hard Dec. 22, 2003, by the deadly magnitude-6.6 San Simeon earthquake. Two women were killed while fleeing a crumbling building in downtown Paso Robles.
Hearst Castle is a huge mansion built by newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst over nearly three decades and completed in 1947. Now overseen by the state park system, it is a popular stop for tourists driving the coast between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food