IONIA, Mich. (AP) – Two employees of a western Michigan prison where a convicted killer escaped for 24 hours have been suspended, officials said Friday.
The Corrections Department declined to release the names of the employees, but said one is a shift commander. The agency also did not provide details on the suspensions, but spokesman Russ Marlan confirmed that they were related to investigation of how Michael Elliot got away from the Ionia Correctional Facility.
“Our employees are required to follow procedures, policies, work rules,” he said.
Elliot broke through two fences during an escape Sunday night that took an hour. Surveillance video shows the escape, but no one apparently was watching it in the control center.
“You can clearly see him leaving his housing unit, going to an area that prisoners are not allowed to be in, go down to the fence line and then spend the better part of an hour going through two perimeter fences,” Marlan said.
The fences are equipped with motion sensors and carry electric current to shock anyone who touches them. But Marlan said Elliot used his hands to loosen and pull back portions that don’t carry an electric charge.
Motion sensors should have triggered an alarm and a flashing light in the control center, he said.
“They were properly functioning sensors, but yet they didn’t go off, or he obviously wasn’t detected,” Marlan said.
Elliot was wearing a white kitchen uniform that may have helped him blend with snow.
The department expects to wrap up its investigation next week, while Attorney General Bill Schuette conducts a separate review of what happened.
Elliot, who has been in prison for 20 years for a series of no-parole sentences, was discovered missing during an inmate count more than two hours after escaping from the prison, about 30 miles east of Grand Rapids.
Elliot, 40, was arrested Monday in a stolen vehicle in northwestern Indiana. He has refused to waive extradition and is being held in Indiana on a $1 million bond. He has said he escaped because he “just wanted a second chance.”
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder said he has confidence in the Corrections Department’s investigation but still believes a separate review by Schuette can help prevent escapes. No timeframe was provided for Schuette’s probe.
“We will conduct an aggressive investigation, without fear or favor,” the attorney general said.
Elliot was serving life in prison without parole for fatally shooting four people and burning down their Gladwin County house in 1993 when he was 20 years old. He and his accomplices were trying to steal money from a drug dealer, police said.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food