EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) – One of two students shot in their apartment near the Michigan State University campus died Saturday morning at an area hospital of multiple gunshots wounds, police said.
The dead student was identified as 20-year-old Dominique Nolff, of Middleville in western Michigan. He was pronounced dead at 9:23 a.m. Saturday _ about 12 hours after he and his 20-year-old roommate were shot.
His roommate, from Grand Haven, was treated and released from a hospital. His name was not released.
East Lansing police found the two students after responding about 8:50 p.m. Friday to a report of a shooting at the Cedar Village apartment complex.
“This does not appear to be a random act,” police said in a statement.
No arrests had been made as of Saturday afternoon. Police described the suspect as a 20- to 25-year-old man who was wearing tan pants, a black coat and black shoes or boots.
Nolff’s aunt, Heather Bush, told MLive.com that her nephew was in his second year at Michigan State.
“He was a gentleman. He loved people,” Bush said. “He would do anything for anybody. His life was taken so short.”
Nolff graduated from Thornapple Kellogg High School in Middleville, about 20 miles southeast of Grand Rapids.
The shootings near Michigan State occurred hours before a separate shooting near Ferris State University in Big Rapids, about 50 miles north of Grand Rapids.
About 4:15 a.m. Saturday a male student was shot in an apartment complex just off Ferris State’s campus. His wounds were not considered life-threatening.
As of Saturday afternoon, no arrests had been made in that shooting.
In October, 20-year-old Eastern Michigan University football player Demarius Reed was shot to death during a robbery in an apartment building near that school’s Ypsilanti campus. Two Detroit men are charged with open murder in Reed’s slaying.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them