EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) – One of two students shot in their apartment near the Michigan State University campus died Saturday morning at an area hospital of multiple gunshots wounds, police said.
The dead student was identified as 20-year-old Dominique Nolff, of Middleville in western Michigan. He was pronounced dead at 9:23 a.m. Saturday _ about 12 hours after he and his 20-year-old roommate were shot.
His roommate, from Grand Haven, was treated and released from a hospital. His name was not released.
East Lansing police found the two students after responding about 8:50 p.m. Friday to a report of a shooting at the Cedar Village apartment complex.
“This does not appear to be a random act,” police said in a statement.
No arrests had been made as of Saturday afternoon. Police described the suspect as a 20- to 25-year-old man who was wearing tan pants, a black coat and black shoes or boots.
Nolff’s aunt, Heather Bush, told MLive.com that her nephew was in his second year at Michigan State.
“He was a gentleman. He loved people,” Bush said. “He would do anything for anybody. His life was taken so short.”
Nolff graduated from Thornapple Kellogg High School in Middleville, about 20 miles southeast of Grand Rapids.
The shootings near Michigan State occurred hours before a separate shooting near Ferris State University in Big Rapids, about 50 miles north of Grand Rapids.
About 4:15 a.m. Saturday a male student was shot in an apartment complex just off Ferris State’s campus. His wounds were not considered life-threatening.
As of Saturday afternoon, no arrests had been made in that shooting.
In October, 20-year-old Eastern Michigan University football player Demarius Reed was shot to death during a robbery in an apartment building near that school’s Ypsilanti campus. Two Detroit men are charged with open murder in Reed’s slaying.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns