PHOENIX — Shots were fired at Eastern Florida State College on Thursday, leaving one person in critical condition.
The Orlando Sentinel reported that two people were in custody and a third person was being questioned.
#BREAKING: Police: Shooting reported at Eastern Florida State College (Palm Bay campus). Campus is on lockdown, per EFSC officials.
— Justin Warmoth (@JustinWarmoth) January 30, 2014
An alert on the school’s website said a shooting was reported in the parking lot of the Palm Bay Campus. Students were told to remain indoors with the doors locked. Classes were eventually canceled. The lockdown was lifted about 45 minutes later and students and staff were allowed to leave campus. The updated alert said at least one of the three was a student.
Police chief: Man beaten by two others with a pool cue before he grabbed a gun and shot one of them at Eastern Florida State College.
— WESH 2 News (@WESH) January 30, 2014
The campus is about 50 miles southeast of Orlando along the Atlantic coast and close to Interstate 95.
Earlier this week, Thewire.com pointed out there had been 11 school shootings in America this month.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night