PHOENIX — Three police officers and an armed suspect were injured Tuesday at a Hawaii high school, police said.
The 17-year-old suspect allegedly became combative with officers on the Roosevelt High School in Honolulu campus and brandished a knife.
The suspect, described as a “runaway,” was shot in the arm by an officer. He was reported to be in serious but stable condition.
The three officers received minor injuries. The one who opened fire will be placed on paid administrative leave, which is normal for when an officer-involved shooting.
Roosevelt High students being released at 10 am due to a campus incident. Parents are asked to pick up students on the track field. #HInews
— HI Dept of Education (@HIDOE808) January 28, 2014
An official who answered the phone at Roosevelt said the school was locked down.
About a half-dozen parents, including Carolyn Richardson, gathered outside the school after word of the shooting spread.
“This is really freaking me out,” Richardson told The Associated Press.
Richardson said she learned about it around 9 a.m. through a text from her son, CarDarow, a sophomore.
Her son told her he heard shots had been fired at the school, but that he was OK. She then used her cellphone to video chat with her son. “I told him, I gotta hear your voice,” Richardson said.
Other parents outside the school also texted and talked on their phones to their children.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck