PHOENIX — Three police officers and an armed suspect were injured Tuesday at a Hawaii high school, police said.
The 17-year-old suspect allegedly became combative with officers on the Roosevelt High School in Honolulu campus and brandished a knife.
The suspect, described as a “runaway,” was shot in the arm by an officer. He was reported to be in serious but stable condition.
The three officers received minor injuries. The one who opened fire will be placed on paid administrative leave, which is normal for when an officer-involved shooting.
Roosevelt High students being released at 10 am due to a campus incident. Parents are asked to pick up students on the track field. #HInews
— HI Dept of Education (@HIDOE808) January 28, 2014
An official who answered the phone at Roosevelt said the school was locked down.
About a half-dozen parents, including Carolyn Richardson, gathered outside the school after word of the shooting spread.
“This is really freaking me out,” Richardson told The Associated Press.
Richardson said she learned about it around 9 a.m. through a text from her son, CarDarow, a sophomore.
Her son told her he heard shots had been fired at the school, but that he was OK. She then used her cellphone to video chat with her son. “I told him, I gotta hear your voice,” Richardson said.
Other parents outside the school also texted and talked on their phones to their children.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food