WESTMINSTER, Colo. (AP) – A student was injured after deliberately setting himself on fire Monday in the cafeteria of suburban Denver high school, causing officials to cancel classes at the school for the day.
Westminster Police Department spokeswoman Cheri Spottke said she didn’t know if the student made any threats or statements before starting himself on fire at about 7:15 a.m. at Standley Lake High School in Westminster, northwest of Denver. He was taken to a hospital with unknown injuries.
Spottke said a cafeteria worker also suffered a minor cut while trying to put out the blaze. She didn’t know how the student set the fire.
The fire was contained to the cafeteria and was put out by an adult with a fire extinguisher, Spottke said. There also was extensive smoke in the building.
Jefferson County Public Schools spokeswoman Lynn Setzer says Standley Lake High has been closed for the day and students were sent home. She said she didn’t know if students were in class when the fire was reported.
No additional details about the injured student were released.
“Our focus now is making sure the kids are safe,” Spottke said.
Setzer said students without cars were being taken by buses to a local middle school, where they could be picked up by their parents.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.