PHOENIX — One person was shot Friday on the South Carolina State University campus, the school said.
S.C. state Univ. Police have confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus. According to police one student has been shot.
— SC STATE UNIVERSITY (@SCSTATE1896) January 24, 2014
The university sent out an alert saying the student was hurt Friday afternoon at the Hugine Suites, an on-campus dormitory.
The school said police have yet to apprehend a suspect, but had an idea of who opened fire. The school said there are as many as four suspects.
The school was placed on lockdown after the shooting and students were urged to shelter in place.
The lockdown was lifted a few hours later and students were told to contact police if they saw anything specific.
The condition of the person who was shot is unknown.
The school is located in Orangeburg, S.C., about 40 miles south of the capital, Columbia.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life