PHOENIX — One person was shot Friday on the South Carolina State University campus, the school said.
S.C. state Univ. Police have confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus. According to police one student has been shot.
— SC STATE UNIVERSITY (@SCSTATE1896) January 24, 2014
The university sent out an alert saying the student was hurt Friday afternoon at the Hugine Suites, an on-campus dormitory.
The school said police have yet to apprehend a suspect, but had an idea of who opened fire. The school said there are as many as four suspects.
The school was placed on lockdown after the shooting and students were urged to shelter in place.
The lockdown was lifted a few hours later and students were told to contact police if they saw anything specific.
The condition of the person who was shot is unknown.
The school is located in Orangeburg, S.C., about 40 miles south of the capital, Columbia.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains