PHOENIX — One person was shot Friday on the South Carolina State University campus, the school said.
S.C. state Univ. Police have confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus. According to police one student has been shot.
— SC STATE UNIVERSITY (@SCSTATE1896) January 24, 2014
The university sent out an alert saying the student was hurt Friday afternoon at the Hugine Suites, an on-campus dormitory.
The school said police have yet to apprehend a suspect, but had an idea of who opened fire. The school said there are as many as four suspects.
The school was placed on lockdown after the shooting and students were urged to shelter in place.
The lockdown was lifted a few hours later and students were told to contact police if they saw anything specific.
The condition of the person who was shot is unknown.
The school is located in Orangeburg, S.C., about 40 miles south of the capital, Columbia.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever