LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) – A Southern California woman has given birth to identical triplets, instantly doubling the size of her family.
April Dooley’s three sons were born in roughly 4-minute intervals on Jan. 13, at a combined weight of 14 pounds, 9 ounces, the Orange County Register reported Tuesday (
http://bit.ly/1msSmXt). She named them Patrick, Owen and Liam.
Dooley, 42, said she burst into tears when she looked at her first ultrasound and learned she was carrying a trio-to-be.
“My husband said, `Is that three?’ I go, `Three what?’ My husband said, `three babies,'” she said.
She and her husband, Brad, wanted their 5-year-old daughter Kaitlyn to have a companion at their home in Long Beach. They weren’t expecting their family to grow so precipitously.
All three boys are healthy, although Liam required surgery for an intestinal problem. Dooley said the surgeon told her the surgery went well.
The triplets arrived six weeks early, which is common with multiple births.
With infertility treatments and other assisted reproductive technologies, the number of multiple births has grown greatly since the 1980s, according to the newspaper.
However, the occurrence of naturally conceived identical triplets is extremely rare. Identical siblings are produced when an egg is divided in utero. Fraternal siblings and those from artificial treatments come from different eggs.
The Dooleys didn’t use fertility treatments.
“We were trying for one more time,” April Dooley told the Register. “I had had two miscarriages. We were just trying one more time to get pregnant.”
Despite the rarity, it’s the second known set of identical triplets born in California in several months. Abby, Brin and Laurel Hepner were born Nov. 22 at Sutter Memorial Hospital to Hannah and Tom Hepner, of Quincy.
Information from: The Orange County Register,
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets