CLEVELAND (AP) – Bond has been set at $5 million for an ex-con charged in the Cleveland death of a 5-year-old girl who was shot in the head while sitting in a vehicle with her mother.
Geoffrey Gurkovich appeared Thursday in Municipal Court on an aggravated murder charge. An attorney entered a not guilty plea on his behalf and the judge sent the case to felony court.
The 32-year-old Cleveland man is accused of killing Jermani (JEHR’-muh-nee) Brooks, who was shot Sunday. Her mother was wounded and hospitalized in fair condition.
Police allege Gurkovich intended to shoot a man who got into an argument with his girlfriend. They say Jermani apparently was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Relatives planned a vigil Thursday, on what would have been Jermani’s sixth birthday.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life