CLEVELAND (AP) – Bond has been set at $5 million for an ex-con charged in the Cleveland death of a 5-year-old girl who was shot in the head while sitting in a vehicle with her mother.
Geoffrey Gurkovich appeared Thursday in Municipal Court on an aggravated murder charge. An attorney entered a not guilty plea on his behalf and the judge sent the case to felony court.
The 32-year-old Cleveland man is accused of killing Jermani (JEHR’-muh-nee) Brooks, who was shot Sunday. Her mother was wounded and hospitalized in fair condition.
Police allege Gurkovich intended to shoot a man who got into an argument with his girlfriend. They say Jermani apparently was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Relatives planned a vigil Thursday, on what would have been Jermani’s sixth birthday.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains