NEW YORK (AP) – A man who stabbed his wife to death told authorities he also killed his two toddlers because he didn’t have car seats to take them on the lam to Mexico, prosecutors said Friday as he was charged with murder.
Miguel Mejia-Ramos did not speak at his court appearance Friday and was placed on suicide watch afterward. He was being held without bail in the deaths of 23-year-old Deisy Garcia, 1-year-old Yoselin Mejia and 2-year-old Daniela Mejia. His attorney did not immediately respond to a comment request.
Mejia-Ramos had been out drinking at a friend’s house on Sunday, authorities said. He came home, rifled through his wife’s phone and Facebook account, and snapped when he saw a photo of her with another man, prosecutors said.
He pulled a knife from a butcher block as his sleeping wife awoke, chased her from her bed and stabbed her to death, Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said. He then hugged and kissed his daughters before stabbing them, too, Brown said. Five bloody knives were recovered, he said.
Prosecutors said Mejia-Ramos tried to kill himself after the brutal attack but didn’t go through with it. On Monday, authorities tracked him to Texas, about 1,700 miles from New York, when he turned on his cellphone. He was captured at a vehicle roadblock on Interstate 10 in Schulenburg, between Houston and San Antonio and about three hours from Mexico, authorities said.
Brown said he met with friends and family of the victims.
“Everyone is, of course, devastated by that which occurred,” he said. “I assured them that this case will be vigorously prosecuted and there will be no plea bargaining.”
Mejia-Ramos was charged with six counts of first-degree murder and faces life in prison without parole if convicted.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food