MIAMI (AP) – Authorities say a Brazilian man is charged with sending police and airline officials an email claiming that a plane scheduled to fly from Miami to Brasilia was going to be attacked.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Miami reports 22-year-old Francisco Fernando Cruz was charged with transmitting a threat in interstate or foreign commerce.
A criminal complaint says Miami-Dade police and TAM Airlines received an email Wednesday threatening a specific Friday flight.
It says police traced the email to a computer at Montclair State University in Montclair, N.J., and the university captured video of Cruz using the computer.
Authorities learned Cruz was scheduled to be on the threatened flight.
Cruz was arrested after traveling from New York to Miami on Thursday. It was not immediately clear whether he has an attorney.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon