You’ve just moved into a house that has luxurious travertine floors in almost every room. So how do you care for them? Here are six tips on how to care for your classic natural stone:
1 – Seal for protection – If your floors have a polished finish, they might not need much of a seal, but sealing does help travertine resist spills and stains. If your floors have a honed or tumbled finish, they definitely need a sealer to resist staining.
2 – Watch out for spills and chemicals – Wipe up any spills immediately. Food, wine and even carbonated beverages can damage the finish. Do not use vinegar or cleaners containing citrus, bleach or ammonia on your stone floors. Avoid cleaners that use acids or alkali. Even a shampoo spill or a wet bathing suit can damage floors.
3 – Covering helps – Carpet runners in busy hallways or in furniture settings are a great way to protect the stone from foot traffic.
4 – Regular cleaning – Dust mop regularly. Once every couple weeks, use a low pH stone cleaner well-diluted with plain water to damp-mop the floors and pick up gritty dust and dirt.
5 – Stubborn stains – There are cleansers for sale in tile and stone stores for use in removing serious stains. But you’re probably better off calling a flooring expert to come in and do the repair.
6 – Fix the pits and holes – These natural chips and dents are usually filled with grout at the factory where the stone is processed. But eventually pits can re-open due to wear and tear. You can have them refilled when your floor is cleaned and polished by professionals, which is usually done every few years. Or you can try filling them yourself.
For more DIY tips and information about all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.RosieontheHouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com – Arizona’s most trusted Referral Network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- Cleaning your baseboards will make your house sparkle
- This video of men cleaning the snow off their roof is oddly satisfying
- Arizona National Guard military police to help in Guantanamo
- Here are 5 money-saving tricks for a happier Halloween
- About to have a baby? Here are some useful tips for first-time parents
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January