BOISE, Idaho (AP) – A public transit bus crashed into a downtown Boise office building on Monday, leaving the front of the vehicle dangling over an underground parking garage.
About 12 people were on the ValleyRide bus and police said most were uninjured. One woman, who had a pre-existing injury, was taken to a hospital for treatment.
ValleyRide spokesman Mark Carnopis said the crash was under investigation after the driver reported the brakes weren’t working when he approached an intersection near the nine-story Idaho Power building,
The driver had to take quick evasive action to avoid hitting cars stopped ahead of the bus, Carnopis said.
The bus careened over a curb and into a parking lot, running over street signs and small trees before crossing a street and crashing into the office building.
Initial estimates suggest the bus was traveling about 20 mph, Carnopis said.
“It was a helluva ride,” 47-year-old Joseph Pacheco said.
Pacheco was sitting toward the front of the bus and said he thought the driver did the best he could in the situation.
“I mean, that could have been so much worse than it was,” he said.
Carnopis said the driver is on paid administrative leave while the accident is investigated.
The 2001 bus was considered at the end of its useful life, generally around 12 or 13 years, Carnopis said.
“We can keep buses past the useful life period but we have to be a little more frequent with the maintenance,” he said.
Carnopis said the maintenance records of the bus weren’t immediately available.
Lynette Berriochoa, a spokeswoman for Idaho Power, said engineers determined a concrete-and-steel column hit by the bus was decorative, not weight-bearing.
As a precaution, the people who work in the library and conference room space above the crash site have been relocated, she said.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier