BOISE, Idaho (AP) – A public transit bus crashed into a downtown Boise office building on Monday, leaving the front of the vehicle dangling over an underground parking garage.
About 12 people were on the ValleyRide bus and police said most were uninjured. One woman, who had a pre-existing injury, was taken to a hospital for treatment.
ValleyRide spokesman Mark Carnopis said the crash was under investigation after the driver reported the brakes weren’t working when he approached an intersection near the nine-story Idaho Power building,
The driver had to take quick evasive action to avoid hitting cars stopped ahead of the bus, Carnopis said.
The bus careened over a curb and into a parking lot, running over street signs and small trees before crossing a street and crashing into the office building.
Initial estimates suggest the bus was traveling about 20 mph, Carnopis said.
“It was a helluva ride,” 47-year-old Joseph Pacheco said.
Pacheco was sitting toward the front of the bus and said he thought the driver did the best he could in the situation.
“I mean, that could have been so much worse than it was,” he said.
Carnopis said the driver is on paid administrative leave while the accident is investigated.
The 2001 bus was considered at the end of its useful life, generally around 12 or 13 years, Carnopis said.
“We can keep buses past the useful life period but we have to be a little more frequent with the maintenance,” he said.
Carnopis said the maintenance records of the bus weren’t immediately available.
Lynette Berriochoa, a spokeswoman for Idaho Power, said engineers determined a concrete-and-steel column hit by the bus was decorative, not weight-bearing.
As a precaution, the people who work in the library and conference room space above the crash site have been relocated, she said.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon