CHICAGO (AP) – Fourteen passengers were injured Monday when a commuter train hit a “bumping post” at a downtown Chicago station, the second such accident of the day, rail officials said.
It was not immediately clear whether the train slid or if there was a mechanical or braking problem, but all trains were subsequently ordered to enter downtown stations at “walking speed” to prevent further incidents, said Michael Gillis, spokesman for the Metra commuter rail agency.
The accident happened about 8:45 a.m. as the Rock Island District line train from Joliet reached the end of the platform at the LaSalle Street station with 175 passengers aboard. Six passengers were taken to hospitals with minor injuries, and the others refused treatment, he said.
Another train hit a bumping post around 6:15 a.m. No passengers were injured in that incident, but the train and post were damaged, officials said.
Gillis said the agency is still investigating what caused the incidents.
“Obviously we’re looking to see if weather played a role,” he said.
Temperatures in Chicago were around 15 below zero, with wind chills as low as minus 40.
Court reporter Kathy Marthaler of Mokena, Ill., was on the earlier train.
“It was like a big boom and a good jolt,” said Marthaler, who said standing passengers scrambled to stay upright. She walked about six blocks through below-zero weather to the courthouse, only to learn that the trial had been canceled.
“I risked my life on the train, then I risked it again in the cold,” she joked, as she waited at the station to take a train back home.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier