HONDO, Texas (AP) – A U.S. Border Patrol agent was facing a pending murder charge Thursday in the shooting death of a Central Texas man who he believed was having an affair with his wife, authorities said.
Adam Garibay was arrested after sheriff’s deputies say he led them on a high speed chase. Investigators say it all began early Thursday when he allegedly bound his wife with duct tape and put her in handcuffs in their Corpus Christi home before forcing her to reveal the name of the man she was seeing.
“He was able to get from her by threat the address of the man,” Medina County Sheriff Randy Brown said.
Garibay then drove about 160 miles northwest from Corpus Christi, which is along the southern Texas Gulf Coast, to a home near the town of Hondo where he fatally shot 35-year-old Keith Martin, Brown said. Martin’s father and brother were at the home during the shooting, the sheriff said.
Garibay fled the scene and led deputies on an 18-mile chase west to the town of Sabinal before the officers forced him off the road, Brown said.
He said Garibay resisted arrest and was brought under control with a stun gun. Brown said deputies believed Garibay might have tried to overdose on medication.
Garibay was taken to a hospital in Hondo to be evaluated by doctors. He remained in custody at the hospital Thursday evening, Brown said.
Authorities in Medina County initially charged him with evading arrest, but Brown said, “There will be a murder charge coming soon.”
Corpus Christi police have charged Garibay with assault and unlawful restraint and issued a warrant for his arrest on those counts, Brown said. Garibay’s wife was treated for minor injuries, according to Corpus Christi police in a statement.
Officials with U.S. Customs and Border Protection did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment Thursday evening.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon