HONDO, Texas (AP) – A U.S. Border Patrol agent was facing a pending murder charge Thursday in the shooting death of a Central Texas man who he believed was having an affair with his wife, authorities said.
Adam Garibay was arrested after sheriff’s deputies say he led them on a high speed chase. Investigators say it all began early Thursday when he allegedly bound his wife with duct tape and put her in handcuffs in their Corpus Christi home before forcing her to reveal the name of the man she was seeing.
“He was able to get from her by threat the address of the man,” Medina County Sheriff Randy Brown said.
Garibay then drove about 160 miles northwest from Corpus Christi, which is along the southern Texas Gulf Coast, to a home near the town of Hondo where he fatally shot 35-year-old Keith Martin, Brown said. Martin’s father and brother were at the home during the shooting, the sheriff said.
Garibay fled the scene and led deputies on an 18-mile chase west to the town of Sabinal before the officers forced him off the road, Brown said.
He said Garibay resisted arrest and was brought under control with a stun gun. Brown said deputies believed Garibay might have tried to overdose on medication.
Garibay was taken to a hospital in Hondo to be evaluated by doctors. He remained in custody at the hospital Thursday evening, Brown said.
Authorities in Medina County initially charged him with evading arrest, but Brown said, “There will be a murder charge coming soon.”
Corpus Christi police have charged Garibay with assault and unlawful restraint and issued a warrant for his arrest on those counts, Brown said. Garibay’s wife was treated for minor injuries, according to Corpus Christi police in a statement.
Officials with U.S. Customs and Border Protection did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment Thursday evening.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas