FAIRFIELD, Ohio (AP) – A southwest Ohio teacher says he is challenging allegations that he told a black student who said he wanted to become president that the nation doesn’t need another black president.
Teacher Gil Voigt told The Cincinnati Enquirer (
http://cin.ci/198iq9x) that he has requested a hearing to defend himself. The Fairfield freshman school teacher was recently suspended without pay, which a school official said was the first step in the termination process.
Voigt told school officials he was misquoted. School officials said that students say the white teacher told the black student who said he wants to be president that “we don’t need another black president.”
Voigt offered a different version, saying that he had responded to the student: “I think we can’t afford another president like (Barack) Obama, whether he’s black or white.” Voigt explained to school officials in a statement that “there was no way I was trying to indicate the color of his skin had anything to do with his politics.”
School officials said a hearing will be scheduled before a labor mediation referee. The district’s board president, Dan Murray, said last month that Voigt had crossed the line with “racially insensitive” comments.
Voigt is a former Cincinnati Public Schools teacher who has worked in the northern Cincinnati suburb of Fairfield since 2000. School records show he received a verbal warning in 2008 for an inappropriate racial comment and recently received a written warning for failure to use adopted curriculum.
Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer,
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food