FAIRFIELD, Ohio (AP) – A southwest Ohio teacher says he is challenging allegations that he told a black student who said he wanted to become president that the nation doesn’t need another black president.
Teacher Gil Voigt told The Cincinnati Enquirer (
http://cin.ci/198iq9x) that he has requested a hearing to defend himself. The Fairfield freshman school teacher was recently suspended without pay, which a school official said was the first step in the termination process.
Voigt told school officials he was misquoted. School officials said that students say the white teacher told the black student who said he wants to be president that “we don’t need another black president.”
Voigt offered a different version, saying that he had responded to the student: “I think we can’t afford another president like (Barack) Obama, whether he’s black or white.” Voigt explained to school officials in a statement that “there was no way I was trying to indicate the color of his skin had anything to do with his politics.”
School officials said a hearing will be scheduled before a labor mediation referee. The district’s board president, Dan Murray, said last month that Voigt had crossed the line with “racially insensitive” comments.
Voigt is a former Cincinnati Public Schools teacher who has worked in the northern Cincinnati suburb of Fairfield since 2000. School records show he received a verbal warning in 2008 for an inappropriate racial comment and recently received a written warning for failure to use adopted curriculum.
Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer,
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas