HOUSTON (AP) – A white Houston-area man accused of sucker punching an elderly black man has been indicted on a federal hate crime charge.
A federal grand jury in Houston indicted 27-year-old Conrad Alvin Barrett on Thursday.
Investigators say Barrett slugged the 79-year-old victim, breaking his jaw in two places, in a Nov. 24 attack in Katy. They say he laughed and shouted “knockout” as the man fell to the ground.
Investigators say Barrett video recorded the attack on his cellphone and shared the recording.
Barrett was arrested Dec. 26 and remains in custody.
Defense attorney George Parnham says an arraignment is scheduled for Jan. 30 at which time Barrett will plead not guilty.
Parnham says Barrett has a bipolar disorder and was off his medication when the attack happened.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick