SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – Gov. Gary Herbert has expressed concern over a federal judge’s ruling that struck down key parts of Utah’s polygamy laws, saying his legal counsel would determine the ramifications of the decision.
Herbert says while he had not had a chance to review U.S. District Judge Clark Waddoups’ ruling, he’s “always a little concerned” when public policy changes are made by the courts.
The Republican governor told The Salt Lake Tribune (
http://bit.ly/1bIUoQd) he would “much rather see decisions on social issues” made by the Legislature, but he still needs “to understand the arguments and logic” that went into the ruling.
Waddoups, a nominee of President George W. Bush, said in his decision handed down Friday that a provision in Utah law forbidding cohabitation with another person violated the First Amendment.
The ruling was a victory for Kody Brown and his four wives who star in the hit TLC reality show “Sister Wives.” The Brown family sued over Utah’s bigamy laws in July 2011 and fled Utah for Las Vegas last year under the threat of prosecution.
Polygamy supporters have hailed the judge’s ruling, saying it decriminalizes the practice in Utah.
Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier