The Newtown 911 tapes were released Wednesday.
The school workers who called 911 that awful day last December have asked that the recordings NOT be made public, but a judge in Newtown decided he couldn’t keep them under wraps any longer.
Various news organizations have rushed to issue their opinions on whether or not the tapes will be aired on their networks. It’s been a very self-serving discussion, especially on CNN, where anchors went out of their way to say that they would take a listen and then decide “policy.” In other words, decide if there is any newsworthiness to the audio.
Some say it’s a way to determine the quality and speed of the response by local law enforcement. Was anyone questioning that Sandy Hook police didn’t respond fast enough?
The families of the 6 and 7 year olds who were murdered that day also asked that the calls not be aired. Can you imagine if your 6 year old had been shot a year ago next week, how it would feel to hear these calls today?
Look, there’s nothing in the audio of the call that you couldn’t glean from a transcript. No one is questioning the response time of the police or the Sandy Hook staff. The shooter killed himself and his enabling mother, so there’s no need for a prosecution.
What are we gaining here? I’m not sure we gain anything.
I won’t be listening. As hard as it will be, I will look away, turn the volume down and try to focus elsewhere.
As far as I am concerned, the Sandy Hook parents suffered the greatest loss possible that day in December. There’s no need to listen to the calls for help from the people who tried hard to save their beautiful first graders, and could not.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick