The Newtown 911 tapes were released Wednesday.
The school workers who called 911 that awful day last December have asked that the recordings NOT be made public, but a judge in Newtown decided he couldn’t keep them under wraps any longer.
Various news organizations have rushed to issue their opinions on whether or not the tapes will be aired on their networks. It’s been a very self-serving discussion, especially on CNN, where anchors went out of their way to say that they would take a listen and then decide “policy.” In other words, decide if there is any newsworthiness to the audio.
Some say it’s a way to determine the quality and speed of the response by local law enforcement. Was anyone questioning that Sandy Hook police didn’t respond fast enough?
The families of the 6 and 7 year olds who were murdered that day also asked that the calls not be aired. Can you imagine if your 6 year old had been shot a year ago next week, how it would feel to hear these calls today?
Look, there’s nothing in the audio of the call that you couldn’t glean from a transcript. No one is questioning the response time of the police or the Sandy Hook staff. The shooter killed himself and his enabling mother, so there’s no need for a prosecution.
What are we gaining here? I’m not sure we gain anything.
I won’t be listening. As hard as it will be, I will look away, turn the volume down and try to focus elsewhere.
As far as I am concerned, the Sandy Hook parents suffered the greatest loss possible that day in December. There’s no need to listen to the calls for help from the people who tried hard to save their beautiful first graders, and could not.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck