ROY, Wash. (AP) – Emergency crews have recovered the body of a feed mill worker who was buried Monday under tons of spilled corn at a collapsed grain silo, a fire chief said late Wednesday night.
The body of Steve Green, 44, was recovered about 10 p.m., South Pierce Fire & Rescue Chief Bob Vellias said.
Green’s wife, three daughters and son were present when his body was found, the chief said.
After the damaged area at the Wilcox Farms feed mill was stabilized Wednesday, two eight-person crews alternated shifts, working late into the night to vacuum up hundreds of tons of corn, Vellias said.
“Of the 500 tons, we figured we had taken over 400 tons out before we found him,” the chief said.
Fire officials previously estimated 50 tons of grain had spilled, but later found out it was much more than that.
A giant metal mesh screen attached to an excavator was brought in earlier in the day to stabilize the area so crews could work safely.
Green was doing routine maintenance when the silo collapsed.
The grain silos mix chicken feed for the company that produces eggs sold throughout the Northwest.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them