LAS VEGAS (AP) – Health officials have confirmed norovirus is behind an outbreak at a youth football tournament in Las Vegas last week that sent more than two dozen people to the emergency room.
Southern Nevada Health District spokeswoman Jennifer Sizemore said Monday that two stool samples tested positive for the virus, which is a mostly food- or water-borne illness that can also be spread by an infected person.
Tournament spokesman Justin Gates said some 90 to 100 players, coaches and parents developed flu-like symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea during the four-day National Youth Football Championships that ended Saturday.
Clark County firefighters responded to the Rio casino on Friday and 18 guests were taken to the hospital, although Gates says nobody stayed at the hospital for long.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
As health officials investigate an outbreak at a youth football tournament that sent an estimated 28 people to the emergency room, organizers said it appears to be just a bad stomach bug that swept through groups of children in close quarters.
Tournament spokesman Justin Gates said some 90 to 100 players, coaches and parents developed flu-like symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea during the four-day National Youth Football Championships that ended Saturday. The outbreak prompted tournament organizers to prohibit end-of-the-game handshakes between opposing players out of fear that participants might infect each other.
Health officials are working from the assumption that it’s norovirus, a mostly food- or water-borne illness that can also be spread by an infected person. There have been no obvious commonalities between the cases, such as a restaurant or hotel that all sick people visited.
“It’s just a run-of-the-mill old virus,” Gates said. “It’s a weird year when you don’t have this go through a team.”
Southern Nevada Health District officials issued surveys to attendees and are conducting tests on samples to make a more definitive ruling in coming weeks, spokeswoman Jennifer Sizemore said.
The outbreak attracted attention when Clark County firefighters responded Friday to a cluster of sick people at the Rio casino, where the tournament was headquartered. Eighteen people, including five children, were taken from the hotel to hospitals.
None of those taken to emergency rooms stayed for long, Gates said.
Of the estimated 90 to 100 people who fell ill, a Santa Monica, Calif., team accounted for about 50 cases and a Bakersfield, Calif., team accounted for some 25 cases, Gates said. He suspects some people may have caught the sickness before coming to the tournament, and spread it to others during long bus rides.
Nine of 100 teams from across the country were affected, Gates said, but it only stuck a little more than 1 percent of 7,000 attendees. One game had to be forfeited because of sick players.
The tournament, organized by the Florida-based Sports Network International, draws teams from 17 states and as far as Panama. Players range in age from 6 to 15.
Associated Press writer Martin Griffith contributed to this report from Reno.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night