WICHITA, Kan. (AP) – One of the pilots of a Boeing 747 that landed at the wrong airport in Kansas in November wasn’t sure they were landing at the right place, according a trade publication that obtained a copy of a training video that described what happened.
The training video was produced by Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, which employed the pilots, and was obtained by Aviation International News. Atlas confirmed the accuracy of the AIN report on Tuesday but declined to provide the video to The Associated Press.
The Atlas pilots were flying a modified Boeing 747 called the “Dreamlifter,” used to haul large sections of Boeing’s new 787. They were aiming to land at McConnell Air Force Base in Kansas, which is near a facility that makes portions of the 787. Instead, they landed at Col. James Jabara airport, 9 miles away.
AIN reported late Monday that an Atlas executive on the crew training video says the co-pilot’s flight display had intermittent issues earlier in the flight, causing the pilots to be skeptical about the reliability of the plane’s automation.
So although they were using the plane’s instruments to guide them to McConnell, the flying pilot abandoned that approach and flew visually after spotting a brightly-lit runway slightly to his left. The pilot disconnected the autopilot and descended more rapidly toward that runway. The other pilot, who wasn’t flying, “was uncertain about the runway’s identity, but remained silent,” according to AIN’s description of the video.
The plane landed safely and flew the next day to its intended destination.
The incident is being investigated by the Federal Aviation Administration.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths