WICHITA, Kan. (AP) – One of the pilots of a Boeing 747 that landed at the wrong airport in Kansas in November wasn’t sure they were landing at the right place, according a trade publication that obtained a copy of a training video that described what happened.
The training video was produced by Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, which employed the pilots, and was obtained by Aviation International News. Atlas confirmed the accuracy of the AIN report on Tuesday but declined to provide the video to The Associated Press.
The Atlas pilots were flying a modified Boeing 747 called the “Dreamlifter,” used to haul large sections of Boeing’s new 787. They were aiming to land at McConnell Air Force Base in Kansas, which is near a facility that makes portions of the 787. Instead, they landed at Col. James Jabara airport, 9 miles away.
AIN reported late Monday that an Atlas executive on the crew training video says the co-pilot’s flight display had intermittent issues earlier in the flight, causing the pilots to be skeptical about the reliability of the plane’s automation.
So although they were using the plane’s instruments to guide them to McConnell, the flying pilot abandoned that approach and flew visually after spotting a brightly-lit runway slightly to his left. The pilot disconnected the autopilot and descended more rapidly toward that runway. The other pilot, who wasn’t flying, “was uncertain about the runway’s identity, but remained silent,” according to AIN’s description of the video.
The plane landed safely and flew the next day to its intended destination.
The incident is being investigated by the Federal Aviation Administration.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy