VALLEJO, Calif. (AP) – School officials in Northern California are considering changing the name of a high school’s American Indian mascot.
The Vallejo Times Herald (
http://bit.ly/181TW1n) reports district administrators will recommend that the school board approve a name change for Vallejo High’s Apache mascot at Wednesday’s board meeting.
The mascot has been a long source of tension between people who believe the name honors the Apache and those who feel it is offensive to American Indians.
A staff report by Vallejo City Unified School District says the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights recommends avoiding the use of Native American images and nicknames.
The report does not offer a specific replacement for the Apache mascot.
Officials say the school will likely retain its colors even if the board approves the mascot change.
Information from: Times-Herald,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain