VALLEJO, Calif. (AP) – School officials in Northern California are considering changing the name of a high school’s American Indian mascot.
The Vallejo Times Herald (
http://bit.ly/181TW1n) reports district administrators will recommend that the school board approve a name change for Vallejo High’s Apache mascot at Wednesday’s board meeting.
The mascot has been a long source of tension between people who believe the name honors the Apache and those who feel it is offensive to American Indians.
A staff report by Vallejo City Unified School District says the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights recommends avoiding the use of Native American images and nicknames.
The report does not offer a specific replacement for the Apache mascot.
Officials say the school will likely retain its colors even if the board approves the mascot change.
Information from: Times-Herald,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets