Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump endorsed House Speaker Paul Ryan and Arizona Sen. John McCain Friday.
“I support and endorse our Speaker of the House Paul Ryan,” Trump said at a rally in Green Bay, Wisc., Friday. Trump gave a double thumbs up to the crowd following the endorsement.
The Trump campaign sent out a text alert on the endorsement.
Donald Trump endorses Speaker Paul Ryan. Party unity will help Make America Great Again. United, we will stop Crooked Hillary and the Obama 3rd term.
He also endorsed McCain.
The timing is unusual. The rally is being held on a Friday night opposite the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.
In an interview earlier this week, Trump said he was “not quite there yet” when it came to endorsing Ryan in his primary race. He also praised Ryan’s opponent, Paul Nehlen, for running “a very good campaign.”
Nehlen says Trump’s decision “is appropriate and is a display of true leadership.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Read, watch Flake’s full Senate speech criticizing Trump
- Flake: Trump’s Russian investigation ‘hoax’ claim is a falsehood
- Flake says Trump’s attacks on media, facts could damage US long term
- McSally: Democrats should ‘get over’ passing clean Dream Act
- Sen. John McCain calls on Trump to stop attacking journalists, press