Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump endorsed House Speaker Paul Ryan and Arizona Sen. John McCain Friday.
“I support and endorse our Speaker of the House Paul Ryan,” Trump said at a rally in Green Bay, Wisc., Friday. Trump gave a double thumbs up to the crowd following the endorsement.
The Trump campaign sent out a text alert on the endorsement.
Donald Trump endorses Speaker Paul Ryan. Party unity will help Make America Great Again. United, we will stop Crooked Hillary and the Obama 3rd term.
He also endorsed McCain.
The timing is unusual. The rally is being held on a Friday night opposite the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.
In an interview earlier this week, Trump said he was “not quite there yet” when it came to endorsing Ryan in his primary race. He also praised Ryan’s opponent, Paul Nehlen, for running “a very good campaign.”
Nehlen says Trump’s decision “is appropriate and is a display of true leadership.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Trump tweets, hits links before high-stakes Putin meeting
- Trump DOJ appealing judge’s OK of AT&T-Time Warner merger
- Federal funding cuts could lead to fewer health care navigators in Arizona
- Brewer says McCain won’t resign as Senate moves to confirm Kavanaugh
- Trump pressed aides on Venezuela invasion, US official says