At least three teenagers were injured Wednesday after one or more gunmen opened fire near a Pittsburgh-area high school.
WPXI-TV reported that as many as three students were wounded by gunfire near Brashear High School.
Police have three people in custody and three more were being questioned, according to TV reports.
A police spokeswoman confirmed that one Brashear High School student was hit in the leg, another grazed in the neck or shoulder and a third grazed in the head. KDKA-TV reported that one victim hit in the head managed to return to the school after being shot.
All the victims, all friends and all male, were in stable condition. Two are 17 and one is 16 and the trio is trying out foe the school’s basketball team. None were cooperating with police.
According to a school website, Brashear is a magnet school specializing in computer science.
The spokeswoman also emphasized that the shooting did not occur on school grounds, but rather the attack was on the street near campus.
WPXI-TV reported that three gunmen emerged from the woods, opened fire and retreated into the forested area.
At least one shotgun shell has been found.
The school was placed on lockdown after the shooting along with a nearby middle school. Some students took to social media to document their experience.
I don't feel safe I need to get home.
— ashlee b…killin em (@abruecken22) November 13, 2013
A woman who was going to pick up her granddaughter told WPXI-TV that her granddaughter called, told her the school was on lockdown and she had to go. When the woman tried calling again, there was no answer.
Police said the school was placed on lockdown last month and said the two events may be connected.
Brashear High School is the largest high school in the Pittsburgh area. It has about 1,400 students.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy