At least three teenagers were injured Wednesday after one or more gunmen opened fire near a Pittsburgh-area high school.
WPXI-TV reported that as many as three students were wounded by gunfire near Brashear High School.
Police have three people in custody and three more were being questioned, according to TV reports.
A police spokeswoman confirmed that one Brashear High School student was hit in the leg, another grazed in the neck or shoulder and a third grazed in the head. KDKA-TV reported that one victim hit in the head managed to return to the school after being shot.
All the victims, all friends and all male, were in stable condition. Two are 17 and one is 16 and the trio is trying out foe the school’s basketball team. None were cooperating with police.
According to a school website, Brashear is a magnet school specializing in computer science.
The spokeswoman also emphasized that the shooting did not occur on school grounds, but rather the attack was on the street near campus.
WPXI-TV reported that three gunmen emerged from the woods, opened fire and retreated into the forested area.
At least one shotgun shell has been found.
The school was placed on lockdown after the shooting along with a nearby middle school. Some students took to social media to document their experience.
I don't feel safe I need to get home.
— ashlee b…killin em (@abruecken22) November 13, 2013
A woman who was going to pick up her granddaughter told WPXI-TV that her granddaughter called, told her the school was on lockdown and she had to go. When the woman tried calling again, there was no answer.
Police said the school was placed on lockdown last month and said the two events may be connected.
Brashear High School is the largest high school in the Pittsburgh area. It has about 1,400 students.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.