STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) – Authorities in Northern California were seeking a motive Monday in a home-invasion shooting that left three adult family members dead and two wounded, and sent a child fleeing to a nearby house for safety.
The triple murder happened shortly before midnight Friday in Stockton. Sheriff’s deputies responded after receiving a 911 call from a man who reported that he, his girlfriend and other family members had been shot. Deputies arrived and found three of the victims _ a couple in their 50s and their son _ dead at the scene, Deputy Les Garcia said.
Deputies found two other victims, who said two people entered the home, shot them and fled.
Those two survivors were taken to a nearby hospital. Their conditions have not been released. Several media reports say a 6-year-old boy escaped the home during the shooting and fled to a nearby house.
“My neighbor, he saw him, and he took him in, and (the boy) said, `My daddy got shot,’ and he said he saw his grandma die, and he’s just in shock,” Briza Martinez told KOVR-TV.
The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office has not yet released the victims’ names, Garcia said.
Investigators are still trying to determine a motive for the shooting as no new information was available, Garcia said. No arrests have been made.
Neighbors told the Stockton Record that the older woman who lived in the home was friendly and loved her family and their pets, including a number of kittens that slept and played in the driveway Saturday. The woman’s husband often played romantic Spanish music on his car radio while the couple watered plants lining the chain-link fences in their front yard.
On Saturday, more than a dozen people prayed around a makeshift memorial outside the victims’ home, leaving numerous candles and flowers at the scene.
“I’m here for you guys. I’m here for you guys and whatever you need,” Martinez told the group. “I’m here for you guys, and you guys are not alone.”
Information from: The Record,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon